According to the ABP regulations, all operators active at any stage of the generation, transport, handling, processing, storage, placing on the market, distribution, use or disposal of animal by-products (ABP) and derived products must be registered with the competent authorities. Some ABP operators however need an approval before they can start their activities, i.e operators:
- processing ABP;
- (co-)incinerating ABP unless the (co-)incinerators are already approved under environmental law;
- combusting ABP;
- producing petfood;
- manufacturing organic fertilizers and soil improvers;
- transforming ABP into biogas or compost;
- handling ABP after their collection, by way of operations such as sorting, cutting, chilling, freezing, salting, removal of hides and skins or of specified risk material;
- storing ABP or;
- storing derived products destined for landfill, (co-)incineration, combustion or organic fertilizers and soil improvers.
The full lists of these registrations or approvals can be found at the “company lists” page.